Friday Sabbath


Here I am on the opposite side of the world, in the United Arab Emirates (Dubai specifically) visiting my parents, and we are attending church while friends and family back home are ending their Thursday night. In the muslim nations, Friday is the Sabbath day. The Dubai Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has about 120 members (many Filipinos) that meet in a huge house and do everything the same way we do back home. I shouldn't be surprised that the church is uniform across the globe after living in Asia for 10 years, so I guess the right thing to say is that I was pleased... and at home. It was a great ward - friendly, smiling people, great talks, lessons, and comments. In fact, every thought that ran through my head was spoken aloud by someone else, along with many other deep and insightful comments. The topic of Sacrament meeting was The Sabbath Day, and I asked the high councilman for a copy of his talk because he included so many fantastic quotes that I'd like to have, such as:

"Because the Sabbath is a holy day, it should be reserved for worthy and holy activities. Abstaining from work and recreation is not enough. In fact, those who merely lounge about doing nothing on the Sabbath fail to keep the day holy. ... Church members attend sacrament meeting each week. Other Sabbath-day activities may include praying, meditating, studying the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets, writing letters to family members and friends, reading wholesome material, visiting the sick and distressed, and attending other Church meetings." (Lds.org search info)

AND

"Our observance of the Sabbath is an indication of the depth of our conversion and our willingness to keep sacred covenants." (Earl C. Tingey, Ensign, May 1996, 10–12)

This Filipino woman (named Bless) talked about how for 8 months she worked on a cruise ship 7 days a week and couldn't attend church. She got emotional as she spoke of how much she values her Sabbath Day as her chance to worship and be uplifted and recharged. I was sitting there thinking about how I need to get in a better habit of refilling my "spiritual bucket" daily because when the baby comes, I won't be able to get as much out of church meetings as I've had the luxury of doing for the past 4 years. I don't want to starve. :-)

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. Here's a picture from our visit. xoxo

7 comments:

Thomas said...

I hope you had a great trip. Great post!

Alan and Heidi said...

those are good quotes :) i think the first one is elder h. aldridge gillespie from one of the 2000 conference addresses. i'm not sure but i think i have that same quote in my journal.

glad you guys had a great time and can't wait to go there myself!!!!!!

Jessica said...

I am always amazed when I check in on your blog and see you guys are in another foreign corner of the world! How awesome!
Somehow I don't remember that you lived in Asia for 10 years. Wow, you two are fantastically dynamic!
Hopefully Nick got to brush up on his tagalog with some of the filipino members there in Dubai.
The picture of Taylor on your sidebar is gorgeous. What a sweet girl.

Travel safely! Thank you for your words and thoughts about the Sabbath!

Mara said...

So glad you had a great time on your trip! But after talking to Nick last night, I realized your wanderlust may pose a threat to your close proximity if he pursues an international job. Sob. :/

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

That's so awesome that you got to go to Dubai! I want to see more pictures!!! It's so cool how the church is the same even on the other side of the world.

Anonymous said...

You two are so adventurous! Makes me want to get out there and do something CRAZY!

Loved the quotes on the Sabbath--great reminders...

Bailey Bunch said...

I am glad you guys had such a great time! Love ya bro!

background