Having decided to make a whole weekend out of it, we kicked it off with dinner at McCormicks (in the lounge for happy hour deals!!) where we tried some mocktails...
The Mocktail Mommas - Jen, Erin, Erin, and Karine (who's friend Sarah wasn't able to join us afterall because her unborn child wouldn't give her a "time out" from being sick)
We devoured our meals/ appetizers for $1.95 - $3.95 as we reviewed the details of our love stories. Remembering how you fell in love always makes you miss your husband -speaking of which, this one's for you, oh lovers of hot wings...
The director, Laurel Christensen, was a hoot! I liked her instantly for her genuine, friendly, humorous personality. Her job would be a blast!
Hilary Weeks was amazing! She is quite the entertainer. She told a story to preface almost every song she sang, which made it all more memorable. The first story she told stands out to me the most. She said her husband rented a jet-ski for them to ride, but she had 4 rules: no going fast, no funny-business, no tipping over, and no breaking the rules. (Sounds like me. I refuse to buy a jet-ski, though Nick continues to keep it on "the list" of future toys.) It was fun at first, but eventually he broke all the rules. After tipping them over, Hilary noticed a pretty pink think in the water and tried to catch it with her foot. She missed, but watched it sink into oblivion. When her husband climbed back on the jet-ski, he stated that the key was missing. "What does it look like?" she asked. "It's chained to a funny little pink thing." ... ... So, they said a prayer and waited for a heroic ski boat to come rescue them. After a few hours, they saw a little, old green motor boat coming their way. It wasn't at all what she had imagined as the answer to her prayer, but it managed to tow them and the jet-ski back to shore.


She then talked about how our prayers may not be answered in the way or the time frame that we want them to, but our Heavenly Father knows what is best for us more than we do. She sang... "He's the tender behind the mercy, the unconditional in love..." and "it happens when you least expect it." I love how she sings her testimony. She also sings little "diddies" she makes up about motherhood. She had us rolling with laughter because we could all relate. That was the best thing about her - she's so relatable and down to earth. In case you're curious, here's an example of one of her mom-anthems:
To the tune of "I Believe I Can Fly" -
I believe I can fly,
and I will if you continue to cry
I've listened to you whine all day
gonna start the minivan and drive away,
My ears are gettin' sore
You'll see me runnin' through that open door...
And when daddy gets home,
Tell him not to call my cell phone.
UNLESS
He's made you dinner
and the dishes have been done
and you've been tucked into bed
With pajamas and a pull-up on
Otherwise I'll run errands all night long,
or at least I'll try!
Ardeth Kapp (former Young Women General President) talked about personal revelation. She said that in a war, the enemy's first attack is on your communication with the command center. Satan has the same tactics. He wants to separate you from Heavenly Father, so he is blocking communication with the headquarters via distraction and sin. We need the Holy Ghost to communicate with the command center and we need to pray. That's why we are constantly being reminded to pray and read our scriptures. The adversary wants to get us too busy to stay in touch with the Holy Ghost.
The biggest thing I learned from this was the importance of going BACK TO BASICS and having a daily FOCUS.
She also stated, "you are innately, inherently, and intuitively good." Let us remember that about ourselves and others.
She reminded me that I can be an instrument in the Lord's hands if I listen to the Spirit.
Kristen Oaks is the wife of Elder Dallin H. Oaks. I enjoyed her very much! She reminded me of my mother - adorable and sweet, but especially because she taught her grandchildren about gardens. The biggest lesson I learned from her is that if it hurts, you're being stretched. Growth is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. "Life is not easy because salvation is not cheap." She also reminded us to be gentle with ourselves - negative thoughts are not of God - and don't doubt yourself!
Emily Watts spoke to us the next day. She taught us that some fruit is slow to ripen (ie: children and manners/ good behavior). We should be patient as we wait for the fruit to ripen, & don't give up. What if the fruits of parenting are how you turn out after being a mother? Motherhood certainly teaches compassion, patience, and charity... along with communication and incremental progress. She talked a lot about children, and the lesson I learned was to PAY ATTENTION and CHERISH each day with my sweet daughter. Hilary Weeks followed this up with a song about what you would do if you had just one day left with your loved ones, like leave the dishes in the sink and let the phone ring while you read to your child and give them your attention.
Emily Freeman talked about making the most of what you have to offer. You can have miracles in ordinary life. Sharing your blessings with others can make a huge difference in their life. She and 3 other families took in a troubled neighborhood boy 1 night each week to help him with homework and feed him dinner. This didn't require much change of schedule for these families, other than including him, but it made a huge difference in his life.
She mentioned that gratitude usually precedes giving. Ask yourself "Am I content with life?" "Have I found abundance in the blessings that surround me?"
The BE THERE principle is one of my favorite wisdom-nuggets from this weekend. "Mourn with those that mourn" is one of those principles I haven't quite grasped yet. I have more of the "fix-it" mentality. I am learning that all you have to do is just be there sometimes. It doesn't matter if you have nothing to say, in fact, it may be best to say nothing to those to mourn - but BE THERE, and just let them cry. He will bless your offering and make it enough.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you make of it.
Kim Nelson pointed out that divine discontent is NOT the same as hopeless shame. One motivates and moves you to action. The other may be the result of a chemical imbalance which needs treatment. You don't have to earn God's love - He's already crazy about you & loves you no matter what.
Hilary told us a story of the time she wrecked two family vehicles before early morning seminary, but her dad didn't even get mad at her or say anything she expected him to. She reminded us to save the lecture and just love. They'll still learn.
Kris Belcher was full of hilarious stories (please, tell your children if they see a bum coming at them, to say "nooooo!!!") and jokes and so many life lessons. She said it would bother her when people would try to console her with the scripture about how God will never give you more than you can handle, but they were misinterpreting it. The scriptures I recall that discuss this (like 1 Corinthians 10:13 and D&C 95:1) are talking about temptation and suggesting that there is always a way to escape it. Kris said, "Of course God gives you things you can't handle [alone], or else there is no need for Christ." GRACE!!! So, when you wonder how someone could possibly handle their difficult trials, consider the role of strength and grace Christ plays in their life. And when you find yourself in those black holes where you wonder if you'll ever come out into the light again, tell yourself the struggle is worth it, you still have a personality and sense of humor under the grief and pain, and even though you can't pray away the obstacles, you'll survive; you'll come out stronger.
Well, I've run through my notes and pictures. So, until next year (when I'm taking my mother and mother-in-law) it's Time-In for me.





3 comments:
Oh my goodness girl, that was the most amazing blog ever!!!!! I love it! Thank you for sharing our fun experiences, your wonderful notes, and most of all, for having a fun-filled and spiritual weekend with me. You are amazing!
Hey girl, You took amazing notes if you don't mind I might steal them. Thank you also for talking about each one of them individually because I wasn't able to stay for Kris Belcher she seems like an amazing speaker. Glad you had such a great weekend. Nothing is better than being with your friends and being spiritually uplifted also. Love you lots
PS. I love your hair it looks gorgeous.
i admit i didn't read the whole post YET...but i will! i am just apologizing for not keeping up on your blog...or mine...or anyone's lately :) i am going to read it all tomorrow!!!! i love you!!
Post a Comment