It has EYES...

Life is too often too monotonous. So, I just want to share something that was a new experience for me... The Crab Pot. Yes, even though I lived in Shanghai for four years, I never even braved the seafood restaurants. I pretty much stuck with dumplings, sweet and sour pork, garlic broccoli, fried rice, chow mein, etc. So, anyway, it was a fascinating experience for me to be introduced to mountains of crab legs, mussels, clams, and shrimp - with their HEADS still on! I was staring in awe at my friends go to town on these creatures of the sea. UGLY creatures I might add. I can see why they hide in shells.
It was Erin C's birthday and was she ever SURPRISED to find a table of friends waiting at one of her favorite restaurants! It's always fun to pull off a surprise. Her whole day was filled with them, thanks to a couple of her good friends who planned the whole thing even though they live a couple hours away. They were kind enough to include her locals buddies in the surprise and we all had a great time.
Emily and I with our stinky bibs. I'm slightly embarassed to say we shared a cheeseburger - which I DON'T regret - but it is pretty lame, I know. I DID try some crab. It was good, but I prefer it mixed with other flavors.
This shows the pile of goods dumped on the table and the tools to de-construct them with. I only knew half of these women but it was such a fun group, easy to be comfortable around, that it didn't matter. I admire Erin's ability to maintain life-long relationships. Some of the women there were friends from middle school, whom she still sees regularly.
Erin J warned me of the shrimp that stare at you. I normally like shrimp, but not with eyes.


Her good friend Kim made this gorgeous cake for her! You know, Kim, my little sister is looking for someone to make her wedding cake...

5 comments:

teage-and-erin said...

Ahhh....you are so sweet. I had a FABULOUS time with all of you! Thank you for making my birthday so special. And next time, you are definitely trying the shrimp! :)

Karine said...

This was such a fun evening! Thank you so much for your help. It was great to be able to chat more with you, and I look forward to Time-Out for women, when we can really share!!
Also, thank you for emailing the pics to me, I really appreciate it.

Thomas said...

That does sound like a fun evening. I didn't know you lived in Shanghai for four years, do you speak the Chin-Lee as Nate calls it? -Maile

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

I would have ordered a burger too!

Charis said...

Every time Andy and I would go to The Crab Pot I would get the good stuff and he would get the A BURGER :-) I am sure their burgers are tasty but their seafood is awesome! But I do love that you are wearing the bibs to eat your burgers :-)

background