Here's my experience:
Tonight, Nick told Taylor she could either get a treat at Mix It Up or Emerald City Smoothie after dinner. Of course she chose Mix It Up (Snoqualmie's version of Cold Stone), but I can't stand by and watch my own daughter spend $3.50 on a single scoop of ice cream without at least saying something. Since I know it's wrong to take back daddy's promise, I decided to present the more economical OPTIONS to her and then let her choose.
So, as we walked her down the frozen aisle of the grocery store, I explained how she could use the same amount of money to get a carton of ice cream and mix in her own candy instead, or a box of popsicles to share with friends the next day. She defiantly said "NO" to all my suggestions, and despite the LONG line at Mix It Up, she came home with a tiny cup of cotton candy ice cream and white chocolate chips that hurt her tummy and ended up in the trash half-eaten.
What do you think she said when I asked her if she wanted to go back? You guessed it! "No mommy, I'm going to get a box of popsicles next time."
She learned the lesson through her own choices which is WAY more effective than by force. She would have resented me if I had said, "HECK NO! We're not spending $3.50 on one scoop of ice cream!" Hopefully, I can remember this method next time we don't see eye to eye. :-)
And since every post needs a picture... here we are after her tap dance recital :-)





2 comments:
Yep. Life lessons are very much more effective than trying to control them. And you're a wise mother to see that now. Good for you.
Aunt Karen
What a cute little dancer!
Post a Comment