Self Control

I'm sharing this in case it helps...

So, last week, the Christensens challenged us to a week of no junk food and a one-hour work-out every day. We started on Monday and ended on Saturday, so it wasn't a full 7-day week, but the point is, we did great!!! Some how, the accountability and the challenge is enough motivation to look for healthy options and to get your behind out of bed to exercise. In fact, there was one day I had to be REALLY creative to squeeze in my work-out, and would have probably not gone that far if we hadn't been challenged. But the MAIN REASON I am blogging about this is because today I noticed some left-over fondue chocolate and whipping cream in my fridge. The frugality in me screamed, "I must use those before they go bad!" I pulled out a recipe book and found a recipe for easy hot fudge. In fact, it was calling my name because I have all the ingredients and 2 of them in the perfect amounts and I would hate to throw them away. We also have strawberry ice cream in the fridge which the Baileys gave us. I don't usually like strawberry ice cream, but with hot fudge I'm sure I would down it! So, here I am after a succesful week of self-control and I am actually planning to consume chocolate fondue (and something to dip) and hot fudge on ice cream. HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is where my aha moment happened. I called Nick and mentioned my discoveries and my plans... and then I thought, "WOULD I RATHER CONSUME A THOUSAND CALORIES THAN THROW THEM IN THE GARBAGE?!?!??!?!!" The left-over fondue doesn't even taste very good anymore and I don't even like strawberry ice cream, yet I was ACTUALLY planning to eat them. Hmmmmm... add to my weight or the garbages'? All of a sudden it seems like a no brainer. So, I go to the fridge, pull them out and chuck them in the garbage without another thought.

You know, this reminded me of a guy on the biggest loser who said he would eat extra burgers when he could get them for just a dollar a piece. When I heard that, I remember thinking, "You really want to sell your health so cheaply?" You know what I mean? And now I'm thinking, am I willing to sell my self-control and my desire to be healthy for so little?

Anyway, like I said at the beginning, I only wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else in their struggle to win the fight against chocolate or whatever your weakness is. Before I take a bite, or a sip, I need to ask myself every time, "Is this really worth it?"Eventually, I hope to not even have to think about it.

And because every blog needs a picture, here's what I did yesterday with my Mom, Taylor, friend Erin Christensen (who issued the week challenge) and her twin boys. We hiked up Little Si - "A short but somewhat steep hike up Mt. Si's small sibling peak, 5 miles round trip, elevation gain 1,200 ft. Taylor did the whole thing without being carried or complaining. 2 hours up, 1 down. It was AWESOME!!! Erin and I carried the boys on our backs and they were great sports!!! Perfect weather, gorgeous views.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I always say most people know how to lose weight -- eat less and move more. But the hard part about losing weight or getting healthier is the mental part. Great insight, Jen!

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

You are awesome! Good for you. I am very proud to count you amongst my friends :-)

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Way to go on mastering the art of self-control jen! I think we all need to work on it. I should not eat sugar (or other unhealthy things) since my family's health history is the way that it is. It definitely is hard, and something I need to work on. I'm proud of you. LOVE YOU!!!

teage-and-erin said...

I am so thankful that my wisdom has rubbed off on you Jen! hehe...just kidding!! We loved challenging you, and learning about our own self-control, AND showing how macho we are by hiking up that huge hill with 2 year old boys on our backs! Love you girl!

Katherine Steel said...

Thanks for sharing this story!! Next time though remember you can still make it and then give it to me after you make it!! jk! Love ya!

background