I thought about waiting until Mother's Day to post this, but maybe someone will read it early enough to take the time to plan something really special for their mom for Mother's Day.
Our lesson in R.S. today was based on a talk by Elder David A. Bednar titled "More Diligent and Concerned at Home" While listening to Mara's fantastic lesson, it occurred to me that I have so much goodness in my life because my mother followed these principles. She showed me she loved me. She built me up. She taught me truth and testified of it. She was consistent in her commitment to the gospel. She was kind, patient, and selfless. She probably felt like she was taken for granted by her children, and she may have felt discouraged at times, but she didn't let that diminish the importance of her work.
She has told me she feels that her role in life is the "background work"... she doesn't enjoy the spotlight and she doesn't intentionally take charge. Well, what is Mother's Day for if we don't recognize the work and sacrifice and diligence that goes on behind the scenes by the women who shape the world? So, MOM, thank you for the things you taught me - through your words and your actions. Thank you for trusting me, it built my confidence. I have always respected you because you first showed me kindness and respect, no matter how ill-behaved I was. You have always demonstrated true Charity, which is the pure love of Christ. That makes a huge impact on a child. Children grow up to become adults. Why do we forget that? Why do we treat children as inferiors sometimes? We all used to be children, and the way people treated us has shaped how we view ourselves and others.
This is why motherhood is THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB. It's a lot on our shoulders and can be overwhelming and a daunting task, but we need to understand the value we hold. We need to accept the challenge and rise to it. I have barely dipped my toe in the pool of experience, and I know it's about to get much harder. I'm grateful for the lessons I've heard and the examples I've seen in SO MANY OF YOU GOOD WOMEN DOING YOUR BEST. I hope they stick with me through the hard times so I can keep the right perspective.
Praising people should be inspiring, not guilt-inducing. I love to hear about amazing women and what makes them so. I love to hear from the mouths of the women themselves what they are doing to be better. That's not prideful. One thing I LOVE about going to church on a regular basis is that we are consistently humbled by being taught ways to improve, but also being reminded that we are loved. We have been taught to look at ourselves and ask, "what can I do better?" without feeling burdened with guilt for not being perfect. We'll never be perfect! So what?
This is getting long, so I just want to say that today I am grateful for:
1. my Mother - for loving me and teaching me how to love,
2. an eternal perspective - for making trials look more like character-building opportunities,
3. my Savior - for always being there with His arms outstretched and for providing the tools and the knowledge to make life truly HAPPY.
Oh, and by the way, Nick got a job! We are both grateful for the peace we felt for the past 2 1/2 months, for the prayers and concern of so many wonderful people, and for the extra time we have had to spend together. It has been joyful. I am SO BLESSED to have Nick as my husband. He is good to the core, he makes me smile, and he is faithful. We know the Lord has a plan and a purpose for everything and everyone and is anxious to pour out blessings. You are loved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Thanks for this sweet post Jen. I love your insights and now I love your mom! It's obvious you come from a mother who knows! You are one too.
Congratulations on the job!
i love mom too :)
Thanks Jen! Can always count on you to keep perspective!
I just got home and am catching up on blogs and screamed (I am so silly) when I read that Nick got a job! I am so happy for you two. :-)
that was a absolutely priceless and beautiful post, jen! thank you for reminding all of us mothers of our eternal purpose and of all we owe to our mothers! i'm going to share it on my blog, too :)
What a great way to look at hearing about others examples. I fall into the feeling guilty catagorey big time. That will probably change the way I learn things at church from now on. I'm so glad you made that point. Thanks for putting it so plainly. (Now if I only would have heard that 5 years ago... :) )
Amen, Sister(by religion,not lineage, of course!).
Thanks for your eternal optimism and spiritual intuition. I dig you, friend. :)
Post a Comment