I just read a fantastic article in the April Ensign, written by Elder Dallin H. Oaks and his wife, Kristen M. Oaks (who spoke at Time Out for Women!)... and I love this quote; it has inspired me to fulfill my soul's "hunger to learn."
"Beyond increasing our occupational qualifications, we should desire to learn how to become more emotionally fulfilled, more skilled in our personal relationships, and better parents and citizens. There are few things more fulfilling and fun than learning something new. Great happiness, satisfaction, and financial rewards come from this. An education is not limited to formal study. Lifelong learning can increase our ability to appreciate and relish the workings and beauty of the world around us. This kind of learning goes well beyond books and a selective use of new technology, such as the Internet. It includes artistic endeavors. It also includes experiences with people and places: conversations with friends, visits to museums and concerts, and opportunities for service. We should expand ourselves and enjoy the journey.
"We may have to struggle to achieve our goals, but our struggles may yield as much growth as our learning. The strengths we develop in overcoming challenges will be with us in the eternities to come. We should not envy those whose financial or intellectual resources make it easy. The stuff of growth was never made of ease, and persons who have it easy will need to experience their growth with other sacrifices or forego the advancement that is the purpose of life."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Wow, I love that!!!
Excuse me, but I had to chuckle a little when I read this post. I remember a time when You, Me, and I think Kaydee were talking about college. I made a comment that I was only going to college to find me a good man. You asked me, in a very shocked voice, "YOU MEAN YOU AREN'T GOING TO LEARN????" You are one smart woman and I NOW agree that we should learn all we can. Even if it's not going to be at college anymore. LOVE YOU JEN!
I knew there was a good reason I'm not rich.
okay, so the pink part is supposed to emphasize the quote at the bottom, but i can't read it!!!!
Post a Comment